Monday, January 4, 2010

Update from Deccember 24th doctor appointment...

So I realized that in order to keep everyone in the loop and use this blog for what I intend it for...I need to actually write the updates!!! Sorry about that!!

On December 24th I met with my Hem-Onc doctor. I feel pretty comfortable with Dr Gareis as my doctor...I have read that first and foremost you need to feel comfortable with the doctor who is going to be helping to save your life!! And the group she is with, Andrews & Patel, is one of the largest group of cancer doctor's in this area.

My appointment was an hour and a half, and full of information. Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is broken down into 3 sub categories...

Low Grade - non-curable* and chronic

Intermediate Grade - curable*, aggressive (but not as aggressive as High Grade)

High Grade - curable*, very, very aggressive, and a higher mortality rate

*The definition of curable here is that it can go into remission for a short period of time or indefinitely.


I have Intermediate Grade NHL. I am not sure what stage I'm in just yet. In fact as I write this I am waiting for the call from the doctor. I had my PET scan on December 31st. I couldn't wait any longer (I really just want to know), and called the doctors office to see if they received the results. They have, and they are giving Dr. Gareis a message to please call me. Ugh - the waiting...

As for treatment - this is what I know right now...


If the NHL is contained in my neck area (thyroid) - treatment will be R-CHOP which stands for Radiation, Chemo, and Pill. I would have at least 3 chemo treatments, followed by radiation treatments, and will be on medication.

If the NHL has spread to other parts of my body, I will not go through radiation (as that is a targeted type of treatment). And I will have at least 6 chemo treatments.

In both cases, chemo will be every three weeks.

Prior to this appointment I joked about how I would be bald and that bald is beautiful. But it wasn't until I heard the doctor say it that it hit me. I asked her if this was the type of chemo I would lose my hair from - she said yes - and I couldn't help it, I cried, hard!!! Oh well - it's just hair, and I have to lose my hair to save my life, well that is what has to be done. She told me that after chemo hair tends to come back in with big curls and lighter than the original color and that I would probably have a shade of blonde. Doug said it will be like having a whole new wife!! This weekend I went to Yarn Garden and purchased some really soft yarn to make some newsboy hats. Hey - if I am going to be bald, by damned I will be stylish!!!! I have a previously scheduled hair appointment on Saturday, January 9th. I am going to have Ali cut my hair to right above my shoulders. I don't want to cut it short, but I also don't want to have it as long as it is and lose it. I am hoping that having it a little shorter will help to make it less traumatic to deal with.


So anyway...that is what I know for right now. Here is a list of upcoming tests and appointments...


Tuesday, January 5th - MUGA testing (this will test my heart to make sure it is strong enough to endure the chemo)

Thursday, January 7th - Appointment with Hem-Onc (we will discuss chemo in more detail and get the schedule set up)


Till then - LIVE STRONG!!!!!!

1 comment:

Lindsay Najdek said...

Renee it seems as if things are going well :) The waiting game is the worse part of the whole thing - trust me, I get irritated when I have to wait on things for my mom. However, once you find out, it eases everything a little, because you know where you stand. As for losing your hair - well no biggie - heck too bad mine isn't long enough yet or i'd give it to ya :) Can't cut it until August!!
Good luck with everything - it seems like you have a tight grip on what's going on and will be great at the fight your about the put up. :)
Can't wait to read more!!!