Wednesday, December 23, 2009

That six letter word...

On December 15th at 3pm I received a call from my surgeon who performed my right thyroid-ectomy on December 10th.  This call changed my life forever.  He told me that while the nodule was ok, the right thyroid showed differently.  Then he mentioned that dirty six letter word that no one ever wants to hear...CANCER!!!!!! 

I have Non-Hodgkin's B-Cell Lymphoma, Large Cell type.  What the hell does that mean, you ask!!!  Well, I'm not quite sure.  I meet with the hematologist/oncologist tomorrow (12/24).  I have a lot of questions and hope to get a lot of answers.  I will learn my plan of attack.  On 12/31/09 I go for my PET scan.  This (from what I understand) will help determine what stage of cancer I have.

I have decided to use my blog to help my friends & family stay informed with my journey through all of this.  Sorry "hipsters", I don't think I will be having my left PAO for quite some time...much bigger fish to fry now.  Some of my friends had mentioned carepages.com and caringbridge.org.  I looked into them, but figured that since I have a blog already set up, I would use it.  And people can "subscribe" to this blog so that they can get a notification when I post something. 

I want to thank everyone that has been so supportive already.  I am so blessed to have the people in my life that I do!!!  I am strong and have fought through so much crap in my 28 years that cancer does not have a chance with me!!!  I will beat this...failure is not an option!!!! 

So if you would like to follow this journey...thank you!!  And in the words of Lance Armstrong "LIVE STRONG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is unbelievable--I just can't imagine. Well, looks like you have some research to do--kind of like the hip thing, but even more intense. I wish you luck and success in your new journey. Not sure if it applies, but my son is on a drug called LDN (low-does naltrexone) and research is finding that it shrinks certain cancer cells and helps many auto-immune diseases. It might be worth investigating, http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/.

--Fellow hipster, Hip Endeavors

ktdid said...

Let me know if you need ANYTHING!!! Your are an amazing woman and your going to kick cancer's ass! I hope you still have the knit knight in your book cause we need to start some new projects.