Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A quick update...

I heard from the doctor’s last night around 5:15pm regarding the results of my PET scan…


My NHL is Stage 1E or Stage II. I will try to explain the best I can. The NHL has not spread throughout by body (which is awesome); however, it has spread in my neck area. They found active cancer cells in the back of my throat area and tongue. Technically, on paper, I have Stage II NHL. But the true definition of Stage II is that the cancer is in two or more lymph nodes. The Stage 1E comes into play because the cancer is in two or more locations, but those locations are known as Extra-nodes (think external nodes).

As far as the treatment plan…we are going to discuss all of that in detail on Thursday. Because of the location of the additional cancer cells, they are not sure if I will be able to get radiation. Reason one is the area may be too big and reason two being the location and possible long term health effects such as dry mouth (there were a couple others, but I forget – a lot of info to take in). No radiation would just mean a longer chemo therapy. This question of whether or not to do the radiation will not affect the start of chemo, as radiation comes after the chemo is done. So I may start chemo on Friday, and if not Friday, I will definitely start next week.

Thursday will prove to be a day filled with information overload.  I am glad I will have Doug there as a second set of ears!!!  The woman I spoke to last night said that she was surprised that I said about starting chemo on Friday, she thought I would like more time to process everything.  Truthfully, I don't know how much more I can talk about and process this - I just want to get started!!!  I am a doer not a talker!!! 

Btw...I want to thank my Aunt & Uncle for one of the most awesome Christmas gifts.  I received a pretty, wrapped package that said To: Renee From: Your Gaurdian Angels.  And inside was an awesome "Live Strong" t-shirt and a "Live Strong" fleece jacket!!  It meant so much to me!!!  I cried tears of joy, as those words mean so much to me and the people it came from mean so much!!!!  I will wear them with pride...and maybe shine my bald head up on those days...LOL!!!!

*On a side note...thank you all so very much for all of the nice comments you have been leaving.  Please know that I am not ignoring you.  I just haven't figured out how to respond to the comments yet from Blogger.

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

Renee,
You are such a strong person I know you will make it through whatever this cancer throws at you. **hugs** I can't imagine what you are dealing with right now but I hope you find strength in all of the love and prayers being sent your direction. <3

EEsmith said...

You are amazing.

you are Greeting this cancer with so much dignity and such passion to beat it, you are already a champion!

Jen said...

I agree with the last two to comment - you are greeting this news with such strength, humor, and I know you will kick cancer's ass just like you kicked dysplasia's! Hang in there. You have me as a cheerleader!

Brick said...

Thanks for the updates. This has got to be a trying time right now, but you have more support than you can imagine. You are in my constant thoughts and prayers.

jerry said...

From Aunt Mary Anne,
You can accomplish this. You have acomplished so much already. Chemo can be a challenge, but it is also a means. I will pray.