Thursday, March 25, 2010

Glow bug treatments have begun...

So I found out last weekend that more people than I ever thought are actually reading this thing! Hello ladies!! With that being said, I really should update more often. But you know what they say…no news is good news.

I started radiation this week. Oh boy – this is a tough one!!! I am pretty claustrophobic and have a hard time being restrained…both of which are being put to the test with this part of the “cancer ass kicking” treatments. I could explain what exactly they do, but instead I will show you. Below is what I will be doing everyday for the next 7 weeks at 3:30. I gotta tell you – I think I would rather be sitting at my desk at work!!! I am working very hard to go to my “happy place” when they strap me down by my head. Today I did pretty well; but my goal is to not freak out inside when they first strap me down. It is easier to just be in my happy place first rather than having to talk myself out of hell first.  I found out today that I will not have 25 treatments as originally thought...no, no I will have 33 treatments!!!  Crazy!!!  Doug is going to be able to use me as a night light!!!


The mask is so tight that when they take it off, my face has the waffle print on it!!!


I am feeling pretty good right now. I have some fatigue – but I have already succumbed to the fact that that will be around throughout the treatment. I coach Special Olympics Tennis and that started back up for the season on Sunday. It is great to see my athletes and to be back out on the court again. I also joined the co-ed softball team that D played on last year. I know this might seem a little over zealous – but I have never been one to sit around. Even if I can’t play all the time – just being able to play once in a while will be awesome. If I don’t try, I will never know…

3 comments:

Andrea said...

We are so proud of you! Keep up your awesome positive attitude- you got this!

Still keeping you in my prayers and in my thoughts. And thanks for the "shout out"! LOL

Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Renee, you are strong and you will make it through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Danette

Mary Anne said...

You are a brave person. Keep on truckin, as they say.I am with you on the phobia. I know you can do it.Auntie MAP