Wednesday, February 18, 2009

5 month (and 2 days) Post-op

Warning: this is somewhat of a pity party...I have been feeling down about my progress and needed to get it all out. Sorry for the lack of happiness. I hope to be back to our regularly scheduled programming soon!

Well it has been 5 months and 2 days since my original POA surgery. Today and the past couple of weeks have not been the best for my recovery. I have been in a lot of pain and discomfort. I feel as though I took a giant leap backwards.

Last week we had a breakthrough in physical therapy. I have not been progressing forward and this concerned my physical therapist, Paul, and myself. Paul asked another PT her thoughts on my situation. She came over to my PT table, put her hand on my hip as I was laying down. She had me relax and she moved my leg into a position, all while still having her hand on my hip. She looked over at Paul and said this was the reason that I was not getting better. My muscle is in one giant ball and can't relax. She said that this can happen with people who have hip surgery where cutting the muscle is involved and since I had it done twice - my muscle is not happy. Apparently, my brain and muscle are not working well together. So to help this, my PT is now doing what they call "Strain / Counterstrain" movements with me. Paul has be relax (which is not easy) and then he moves my leg and hip into positions that help the muscle relax. It has only been a week of this, so I am not sure how well it is working.

I have been feeling pretty down lately because of all of this. My biggest problem is that my heart and head are in it, but my body is not. I want soooo badly to be jogging and doing everything that I use to be able to do. I am really scared that I will not be ready to play tennis and that is something I look forward to doing all winter. I am also very, very concerned with gaining weight. I have come so far in my weight loss that I fear gaining even a pound. I was down 100 pounds, but when I started PT and the gym again, I gained 10, so now I am only down 90 pounds.

Anyway, I have a doctors appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and the infectious disease doctor, so I plan to talk to them about all of this. The pain and the fatigue is really wearing me down. Not to mention the fact that my boss is starting to think I am using my hip surgery as a crutch. I could not even imagine doing that...I want to be better in the worst way!!! I just wish I would not have had so many complications.

1 comment:

Eczema Mom said...

Wow, you have been through the ringer! It's so frustrating to want to be back to normal, as it's been so long. Hopefully your PT has you on the right course now and things can start to progress. My RPAO was on 7/19, and I'm still finding little improvements each week--which is encouraging, but at the same time I just want to be the old me (without hip problems!)