Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back to life...

I am getting back to life as it was prior to PAO surgery. Every day I am amazed at how I progress with my mobility and strength. I am "forgetting" my cane at home now; although I do need to still have it in the trunk of the car for backup. When I get tired my limp starts to come back.

PT - Yesterday I had PT in the pool. I really enjoyed that. The entire pool was a treadmill; it is a platform that is flush with the floor, then once you step onto it the therapist lowers you into the water...very cool. This was my only pool session at PT as I will use the exercises at the pool in the gym.

"Land" PT has been going great. My therapist, Paul, has been wonderful. He asked the other day if I felt he was doing all he could or if I had hit a plateau in my recovery. I promptly responded that if it wasn't for him I would not be where I am. I said that a week ago I was not able to jog on the treadmill, and that day I was able to. When I say "jog" it is only for a couple of minutes until I start wobbling, but hey it is start!! There was a time after the surgery and the complications that I thought I wouldn't be able to raise my leg up when laying down or return to my previous sports, but now I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If anyone practices yoga, Pilate's, or good health they know that a persons "core" needs to be strong. Unfortunately, my core has become really weak from all the down time. Paul has been helping me to get this back. I had PT on Tuesday and I was in a full sweat by the time I was finished. I told Paul PT is starting to feel like training sessions. And I love every minute of it.

Gym - On top of have PT twice a week I have returned to the gym. I am able to do about 20 minutes on the bike and 15 minutes on the treadmill. I also am starting to get back to strength training. Wow!! I have gotten weak!! Although I am see things get toned again. So my typical day at the gym includes cardio, strength training (alternating between arms; chest, back, shoulders; and legs depending on the day). I think it will be a while until I am able to play racquetball again. It feels WONDERFUL to be back at the gym (my second home). I just can't wait for February when all the "New Year's Resolution" people disappear.

Work - I really missed my office. I designed my own office when my company bought our new building. I painted the walls in a vibrant two shade golden color. I have pictures, plants, and some other memorabilia so that I feel comfort in my office. I look at as I spend a majority of my day in it, so it needs to feel good and send good vibes. Not to mention I feel so much more productive in my office. Working from home is great - but I did not have access to all of my files making it harder and longer to get some things done. Plus interacting with people other than my mom (who played chauffeur) and my physical therapist makes me feel like the normalcy is being restored.

I am working shorter days (leaving at 3 instead of 5) until I can build my stamina back. I have been anemic since surgery and I have a really hard time getting through a full day. I just went to the doctor last Friday and my H & H levels were really low and my iron is low. I am now on an iron supplement to help that.

So that's that. I am getting better and stronger everyday. And looking forward to getting back to 100% and maybe even better than I was!

Thanks for reading!! See you next post!!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Oh, I totally hear you about the "New Year's Resolution" people at the gym. Good for them for giving it a shot, but it sure is nice when the gym clears out a little! My gym is my second home as well, though I'm struggling with motivation right now. Just can't seem to have the energy to get back in four-five days a week like pre-op. Did you struggle with this? Any ideas to boost my motivation?