Friday, May 11, 2012

Sorry can not even begin...

To all of my friends and family,

First off I know this is not normally a way to apologize, but this seemed like the right way to reach everyone. 

Sorry - what type of word is Sorry...does it really mean anything anymore?  Well I can tell you that in my case, sorry comes from my heart. Although I am not even sure "sorry" can really cut it.  For the last year I have went through an emotional roller coaster (see previous post).  And in this time I have managed to strain and even ruin valuable friendships and relationships.  The words that came out of my mouth were poisonous and hurtful.  My head was so full of hatred.  Hatred towards the cancer and the shit that I had just endured; but this hatred didn't get directed towards that, instead it came out as mean to the ones I loved the most.  I alienated some of those close to me and clung way too hard to others.  When you cling to one person and alienate the rest - it tends to send the clung to person running.  I mean - how would you feel if one person relied solely on you to be their everything - you would feel overwhelmed. 

As I get a chance to talk to each of you individually, I will apologize for the things I said to you personally.  But I just needed everyone to know how truly sorry I am for how I have been this last year.  To tell you the truth, I don't blame some of you for not liking me - I don't like me for how I have been.

But, moving forward - this is my vow to each and everyone of you...you will start to see the Renee that you are all use to - the positive and happy Renee.  Because truthfully, that is who I am.  I have always seen the positive in everything and unfortunately, I had a hard time doing that with the cancer.  I feel as though all of the health issues I have had has sucked that person out - but now I am starting to realize that it was just buried - deep. 

I know this may seem like a lot to ask, but I am asking each and every one of you to please give me a second chance.  Please let me show you that the person you all knew and loved is coming back.  Please open your hearts and let me back in - I promise I won't make the same mistake twice.

With the deepest love and regret for how I have been.

~Renee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suspect you’re tired of hearing this – you’ve been through a lot. My wife and I have too, and when told those same five words, they really don’t mean much anymore. Almost like, “Yeah, yeah – been through a lot, yada yada.”

But here’s the thing: we HAVE been challenged more than most. A therapist told me that so it must be true. And when the worry and pain and regret subside a bit, the sun doesn’t always come out. Most people don’t understand that. Scars are left behind – all kinds of em. Anger, self-pity, chipped shoulders, feelings of futility are all of a sudden too much with you.

You can’t aim all this muck at your loved ones and pull the trigger. And you can’t get stuck in a mire and forever become someone you don’t want to be.

Here’s what you can do: give yourself a friggin break.

I don’t know the details on how you’ve been toward everyone, but it doesn’t matter. Because I know you, I know that you’ve been sucker-punched, and I know that right now, things aren’t clicking and you’re mad and sad and whatever else you are.

But have you ever wondered how everyone that you’re so profusely apologizing to would have handled your situation? Ever wonder if they have ANYthing resembling a clue what it’s like to walk in your shoes?

Let them be upset with you and let them know you’re sorry – and if they don’t understand after that, screw em.

Do your real friends and loved ones want you to be this severely apologetic the next time you see them? No. Do they want you to slowly come back to them? Yes. Do they want you to try too hard to come back too quickly? No...and it sounds like that’s what you plan to do. For crissake, take your time. You’ll be back. And then your real friends and loved ones will say things like, “You were such a bitch. I probably would have been worse though. Pizza tonight?”

Finally, you said this: “I mean - how would you feel if one person relied solely on you to be their everything - you would feel overwhelmed.”

Yes, overwhelmed – but not obligated. Because tomorrow the roles could be reversed, and that person might have to completely rely on you. That’s rule number one of marriage (and parenthood). If it’s not an unconditional two-way street, grab a GPS and point yourself to a better place.