Tuesday, February 2, 2010

No more hair...

Last night I had D shave my head. As I stated before, I woke up on Thursday, January 28th and found my hair starting to fall out. Well it didn’t take long – by Sunday I had bald spots and was wearing a hat or scarf. It was so thin and looked terrible.

I stood in the bathroom feeling completely open and vulnerable as I felt the clippers taking away the one thing I had always liked about myself. I cried the whole time D cut. I kept my eyes closed as I was afraid to look in the mirror. When it was all said and done I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror…and screamed!!! The person looking back at me, was not me, it was some sickly looking girl with mascara smeared from the tears. D grabbed me and hugged me; I could see and hear his tears. He felt so sorry for me. And although I am not usually the type, I felt sorry for myself.

It is very hard to look in the mirror right now, as I am sure it will be for some time. I feel much, much more comfortable with a head covering on, whether it is a scarf or a hat. Plus my head is so cold and my scalp is so tender to touch. The stubble that is left on my head is falling out, but it is easier to see that than clumps of long hair.

We had gone shopping on Sunday for some new clothes for D and me some scarves. I am amazed how hard it is to find silk scarves. I came home from the Gettysburg Outlets, Capital City Mall, and Target with just two scarves!!! I have looked online for some. But I think tonight I am going to stop by Jo-Ann Fabrics and see if I can just buy some fabric in the same square size as the scarves I bought and put a hem around. I think this will be a cheaper alternative. Plus I can pick fabric I like and that will match my wardrobe.

On Saturday, my friend Jess and I took a trip to Fleetwood (outside of Reading) to meet a very, very nice lady who sells wigs. What a surreal experience that was. I never thought I would be sitting in a chair at my age getting wigs tried on me. After some doozies, I believe I found a good match. The color is almost the exact same as my natural color and the style looks to be my style. “The Wig Lady” (that’s the name of her business), Faye, had the color wig I wanted but not the style. I picked the style out of a book. I wear or wore my hair straight and parted to the left. Some wigs do not part, and are fluffy on top. I can tell you with certainty that I am not a fluffy hair kind of girl. Faye tried one wig on me that made me look like C.C. DaVille, no joke!! So anyway – the type of wig I got is a monofilament wig – which means it looks like a real scalp, it can be parted, and is a flat style. I like flat!! I am hoping to be able to pick it up next week.

Other than the hair loss – I am feeling pretty good. I didn’t go to the gym last night because…well, I just didn’t feel like leaving the house. I am hoping to get there tonight, even if it is only to do a little bit – at least it will be something!!!

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

*hugs* I know there is nothing anyone can say to make this easier. Just know I am praying for you.

Jen said...

During her chemo, my mom had a hard time wearing no scarf, because she got so cold. She did find a bunch of pretty scarves and I will get the websites from her if you want. You're doing better than you think you are! Hang in there!
Jen

PS Check out the crossstitch I got my mom to do during chemo:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.subversivecrossstitch.com/kits/images/FCancer72large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.subversivecrossstitch.com/kits/fuckcancer.html&usg=__oIiY7kFOPQ_b27XmVyRCvoAcaZw=&h=432&w=323&sz=173&hl=en&start=10&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=xb73IdCc-rwZvM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfuck%2Bcancer%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Unknown said...

You are always in my prayers. I think of you so often each day. This will make you even greater.
Love Eileen

Brick said...

I'm sorry and I feel sorry for you right now. Tears came to my eyes as I read your story. I'd shave my own head if it would help, but it wouldn't. It's not fair and I'm sorry.